Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU)
Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) is an elastomer that is fully thermoplastic. Like all thermoplastic elastomers, TPU is elastic and melt-processable. Further, it can be processed on extrusion as well as injection, blow and compression molding equipment.
Thermopalstic polyurethane(TPU) is a unique category of plastic created when a polyaddition reaction occurs between a diisocyanate and one or more diols that results in high resilience, good compression set, plus resistance to impacts, abrasions, tears, weather, and even hydrocarbons. TPU offers flexibility without the use of plasticizers as well as a broad range of hardness and high elasticity. In fact, TPU bridges the material gap between rubbers and plastics.
Other Common Variations
TPU have some common performance traits that set them apart from other plastic materials. These typically include:
- High abrasion resistance.
- Excellent low-temperature and impact strength.
- Resilience to oils, greases and numerous solvents.
- Good flexibility over a wide temperature range.
- Robust weather and high-energy radiation resistance.
- Suitability for bonding and welding.